First impressions of dolphin

Juan Carlos Torres carlosdgtorres at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 16:17:02 UTC 2007

On Monday 08 October 2007 9:07:07 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
> Yeah, me too.  Konqueror with 5 http tabs, a split file manager/sftp tab,
> and one or two file manager tabs is pretty much normal.

Yep. Power user. Exactly what Konqueror is for. Not everyone does that tough.

> I'm sure the idea is that some people want a simpler file manager, but imo
> that's easier handled by doing what they tried a release or two ago, where
> konqueror started with a simpler view.  Of course, that wasn't handled well
> and a lot of upgraders suddenly found much reduced functionality!

Hm... you seem to be confusing Kubuntu's changes to KDE's defaults. In the
course of KDE 3.5's lifetime, there was no big change to Konqueror at all. No
removed menus, no hidden / folders.

> Both could be done - the file manager is just another kpart.  I imagine
> it's even possible to make dolphin the konqueror file manager!
>
> I don't see that as likely.  konqueror still has to be the web browser, and
> I'd be really surprised if dolphin isn't a kpart, so all functionality
> should be available to konqueror.

It already is, and Konqueror uses it now. Actually there's no other choice at
all. Konqueror uses the dolphin kpart for file management. But I'm not
exactly happy with the way it's integrated right now...