"In order to complete the update your computer needs to be restarted."

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Oct 8 12:49:35 UTC 2007

Hex Star wrote:

> There was someone who actually installed a updated kernel without
> rebooting...basically it involved quitting and restarting all critical
> system processes one by one, a bit tedious...much easier to just reboot :)

I could do _that_ with "init 1","init 2" - but you still won't be running
the new kernel.  You'll have restarted everything else that matters
but "uname -a" will show you running the old kernel and all insertable
modules will come from /lib/modules/OLDIMAGE.

I guess you could somehow even force the modules to be loaded from the new
location - but that seems like a sure way to force a kernel panic :-)
--
derek