Storm tracking on Linux and verses MS and Just a comment

Sylviane et Perry White spwhite at freesurf.ch
Sun Oct 7 17:04:31 UTC 2007

Hi,

Sorry, I did it again, answering before having read all the mail.
On this list I must remember not to trust the threading.

So my (just a) comment is that making subscribers on this list aware of
threading is more important as checking their spelling.

*To see what threading is :*
I Kmail, under the "folder" tab, check the "thread messages" option.
Then all replies of a message will be grouped together.
This happens when the message is correctly replied to, by clicking the "reply"
option.
If someone answers by creating a new message and copying the subject the
thread is broken.
Whorse is the case where someone cliks the reply option and changes the
subject, beliving he is just sending a new mail and not knowing he is messing
up the threading.
To see the (usually) invisible marks that Kmail sends, select
View/Headers/All Headers or type [shift] H : you may spot a line starting with
"In-Reply-To:"

Mail threading is a very convenient feature and I advocate every one uses it
for reading.
In the legitimate case you prefer another sorting, please never break or mess
up the threading for the rest of the list as I intentionnaly did this
time :-) 	 ( and perhaps Knapp too intentionnaly broke his thread with his
reply "Storm tracking on Linux and verses MS", but I failed to understand
why, since it is legitimate to modify a subject in a thread, often with a
"solved" word or a related question)

I hope I am not being too pedantic.

Perry

--