downloading files question

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Oct 6 19:02:43 UTC 2007

k h wrote:
> i am using a windows computer to download files from sourceforge.net,
> and i am new to Kubuntu.  what extension should i download to put on a
> flash stick, then install on my Kubuntu?
>
> is it
> .dmg
> .bz2
> .zip

It should be .deb -- but not every .deb file works with Kubuntu. If the
program you are looking for really is not available from the kubuntu site
(via Adept / Synaptic or other package manager) you will probably have to
compile the program you download from Sourceforge. Then it would be the
file marked as system independant source which usually has the
extension .tar.gz or .tgz or .tar.bz2. Furthermore you also need the
build tools which are in the package build-essential and some
dev-packages depending on the source files you want to compile. If you
tell us which program you are looking for, we might be able to give you
more specific information.

Nils