Help! Feisty will no longer start X or KDE.

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 6 04:09:01 UTC 2007

David McGlone wrote:
> On Friday 05 October 2007 8:37:00 pm D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
>> On Friday 05 October 2007, David McGlone wrote:
>>> sounds like your running in runlevel 3 instead of runlevel 5.
>
> Very true. I am a recent SuSE convert. Been running Kubuntu for about 8 months
> now and I really love it. I'll never ever go back to any other distro.
>> Uh, on a Debian (based) system, all runlevels are the same except 1 and 6,
>> and the normal default is 2.
>>
>> So that's not it.
>>
>> Based on what he said, I'd get to the console login, and then look in
>> /var/log for clues, like /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>>
>> Maybe it ends with a hint what's going wrong.
>>
>> I can't think of any reasonable suspects off the top of my head, given what
>> he said about all of this coming about as a result of merely logging out.
>
> Only thing I can think of is maybe a wrong X configuration. He didn't mention
> if he changed anything monitor specific that maybe his monitor couldn't
> handle before he logged out so I wonder if that could be the case.

Hello David and Michael.  Thank you for trying to help.

In /var/log/Xorg.0.log I notice the error line:
(EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable

At the Kubuntu forum I found a thread that says there is a problem
'KDM won't restart after logout' dated September 26, 2007,

Based on this, I did a logout, then hit the reset button and everything
came up automatically and correct.

There is another thread that suggests to reload kdm
'sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm' that I might try.

I have had other problems with reboots stalling unless I do a complete
power-down shutdown.  If the problem doesn't get solved I'll just wait
and do a complete virgin install of Gutsy when it comes out.

Larry

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Linux