Remote desktop

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Oct 5 13:01:33 UTC 2007

Mauro Grauso wrote:

> On 10/4/07, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>>

>> An odd choice of words, since vnc _never_  actually touches physical
>> consoles.  I must assume you really mean DISPLAY :0 - the one you
>> generally
>> get when you log in directly on your computer.
>

> Absolutely yes. I meant display :0. Sorry for wrong choice of words.
>
> Anyway, you're wrong.  It _can_ "take control" of display :0, and that's
> why
>> Kubuntu provides krfb.  But I can also log in as a completely separate
>> session, leaving the "physical console" untouched.
>

> But if you phisically switch to the other console (ALT+Fx) you'd be able
> to see the output. Did I get what you meant?

No, you wouldn't.  The vnc session is (if you want it to be) completely
separate from the sessions you see actually on the computer (specifically,
they'll be on displays :5900+).  Of course, just as you can share the
computer's display, you could share the VNC display - I've actually done it
for some reason lost in the mists of time.  So you start up krfb in the VNC
session, then start _another_ vnc session from the physical computer, and
share the original VNC session.  Now that I think of it, I hope I only did
that as proof of concept - it's pretty warped :-)
--
derek