Can't remove gnome install.

Luís A. C. Silva lacsilva at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 09:13:54 BST 2007

2007/10/2, Peter Lewis <prlewis at letterboxes.org>:
> On Tuesday 02 October 2007 00:50:10 Hex Star wrote:
> > Use sudo apt-get --purge remove packagename
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't work I'm afraid.
>
> From the apt man page, I notice that it says that "purge is identical to
> remove except that packages are removed and purged", which I think has to do
> with the packages being removed from the disk cache too.
>
> On the other hand, "autoremove is used to remove packages that were
> automatically installed to satisfy dependencies for some package and
> that are no more needed". That sounds like what I'm after, but it isn't
> working.......
>
> Pete.
Hi! The last time I tried gnome and wanted to uninstall afterwords I did

sudo apt-get --purge remove gnome*

followed by:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

(just in case the general command above messes with my kde ;) )
This should remove most if not all gnome things and probably a few
other kde related stuff also but the second command should fix the
problem.
You can do an autoremove afterwords as you should have a few stall
packages lying around by then.
 The --purge removes the packages containing data for the main
packages. These usually end in -data.bla,bla,bla.deb. This command
does not touch your package cache, as far as my experience goes.

Good luck,
Luís