Can't remove gnome install.

Peter Lewis prlewis at letterboxes.org
Mon Oct 1 21:44:40 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I am running Kubuntu Gutsy and a while back I thought I'd install the
ubuntu-desktop package to have a little look at how gnome was doing since the
two years that I last ran the system.

I did a:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

and it happily installed the gnome option in the login manager.

Anyway, after a few days, I don't really want it sitting there on my system,
so I did:

sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop.

Of course, this only removes the meta-package, but I was expecting all the
things which this package pulled in to then be removed by:

sudo apt-get autoremove

since they're no longer required by the packages I'd requested to be
installed, but this didn't happen.

Can anyone explain why (since I seem to be misunderstanding the concept of
autoremove), and what I should do to remove all the gnome stuff?

Thanks in advance!

Pete.