Newbie: kernel/init messages at boot times ?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Nov 29 23:32:00 UTC 2007

Ulrich GrĂ¼n wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I'm used to SuSE and Debian for quite a long time. With that
> distributions, when I start (and power off) the computer, I get the kernel
> and init messages on tty1. With (K)Ubuntu (7.10), this feature has been
> disabled.

No it hasn't.

> I already changed the kernel options in 'menu.lst' and removed
> the 'silent' option (which resulted in a little information, but not
> exactly what I'm looking for)

I trust that's just a translation of a german option (I have no idea if
options are internationalized) but the correct option is "quiet".  Since
ubuntu uses the (long available on Debian) splash option, you probably want
to turn that off too.

> Furthermore, when I press <alt>F2 (and others) during boot time and return
> to tty1, that screen has become black. All the other tty's are black as
> well and I cannot log in into bash of one of the tty's.

That may be hardware related.  Console messages should actually be on
<ctrl><alt><f8>

> Has anybody figured out how to solve this? It would be ideal if the
> messaging was like Debian/SuSE.

It's _exactly_ like Debian.

--
derek