Setup woes

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Nov 29 13:39:35 UTC 2007

Bill Vance wrote:

> It was something the system did,

I'm not trying to find fault, but I find that extremely unlikely.  If "the
system" would change the privilege on /etc/sudoers, we'd have heard this
same story countless times.

My bet is that at some point you tried to change read permission on some or
all files in /etc, and that broke sudo.

If you haven't been using commands to put yourself into a root shell
like "sudo -i" or "sudo -s":

grep sudo /var/log/auth.log

should show the command that broke it as the last line before you fixed the
permissions.

Note, anyone who's been using Linux for more than a few weeks, has surely
done more damage to his system than merely screwing up the permissions
on /etc/sudoers...
--
derek