configuring dell wireless card on thinkpad T21

jerry jerryturba at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 27 02:22:14 UTC 2007

ndemalia armstrong wrote:
> Hi! can anyone point me to the right resource here, on how to configure my dell wireless 1350 Wlan PC card model Wl611GD on my thinkpad T21
> I've this BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller. i've done every possible thing I can think of but to no success, if anyone has encounter the same delima please let me know how u managed it. if this might help i've kubuntu gusty 7.10 and it's running great so far. However I did encounter the screen resolution prob but took care of it already by reconfiguring the xserver-xorg. just in case anyone reading this mail might have the same prob.
> thanks if advance guys!
>

> "love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend"

I just saw your post from a few days ago. I got the bcm4306 working with
Kubuntu. I hope I can help.

I saw from other posts that you have ndiswrapper installed. That was
step one for me. I had to remove bcm43xx; modprobe bcm43xx, eventually I
also had to blacklist it to keep it from being reinstalled. I copied the
window drivers to Kubuntu (bcmwl5.sys and BCMWL5.inf).
ndiswrapper -l will show which drivers are installed. To install the
windows driver I did
sudo ndiswrapper -i path_to/BCMWL5.inf. I repeated it with the -l option
to be sure it was actually installed.
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart  got the card up and running.

If you still have problems could you post the results of the following:
iwconfig
ndiswrapper -l
lsmod | grep bcm*
lsmod |grep ndis*

Good luck. I had to try many permutations of the above to finally get it
working.

Jerry