Email Client

Chris Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 00:46:17 UTC 2007

On Nov 26, 2007 3:36 PM, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Chris Miller wrote:
> >>
> >> Half the reason I use KDE is for its File Dialog box and kio-slaves,
> >> anyway. Preview all images when I'm attaching an image for a client? Of
> >> course...in GTK apps....why would you want to preview something?
> >
> > You can preview photographic mimetypes from GTK style dialogs...
> >
> > I agree though, GTK on the whole is just inexplicably less
> > user-friendly when you're power using your system.  KDE is much
> > better, though it comes at the price of a higher learning curve.
>
> That seems wrong to me - but whenever I talk about GUIs I have to preface it
> with a big YMMV :-)

Now that I think about it, only certain kinds of GTK dialogs have
previews.  Some don't.

> KDE, to my mind, has a much smaller learning curve for most of us who came
> from Windows.  That is both its strength and its weakness.

I've got some kind of sixth-sense for GUIs, so I'm usually using new
software at lightspeed (primarily because I think so fast...  at other
things I'm really slow, so I balance out in the end)

Generally I find Gnome to be easier to use for the first time, but
after time it starts to bug me.  KDE was harder to learn at first, but
once I already had been around the block it was more like an extension
of my body it was so good.  It's easier to make the complex and
powerful KDE second nature than it is the make the simple and limited
Gnome useful in a power-user situation.

I use both, depending on what I need at that moment.  I get the best
of both worlds.  And my HDD is only 20G, so don't tell me I'm just
spoiled with a big drive.  All my peers have four to five times that
much storage in their laptops.

--
Registered Linux Addict #431495
http://profile.xfire.com/mrstalinman