display crash

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 05:14:29 UTC 2007

> am able to log on legibly in fail safe mode in konsole.  Can anyone give
> me instructions on how to either fix my monitor display or copy the
> files that I need onto a USB memory stick?  Many Thanks.
Arthur,
 I'm sure someone with ATI experience will chime-in, but you can try this.
When you boot, wait a while and then try switching to a text login by pressing
ctrl+Alt+F1  (or F2, F3. F7 = gui)
You should be able to login and fiddle about.

The display is controlled in /etc/X11 under xorg.conf, but that's a hard pill
to swallow. You can try: [sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg] which (in times
before Gutsy when I used it last) would bring up a wizard of sorts to help
you edit that file. You can try set it to a generic (non ATI) driver just to
get the ball rolling.

HTH
\d