problems with locales

N.F. capagira at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 10:33:04 UTC 2007

Received from / Ricevuta da: Alexander Smirnov  [11/21/07 09:00]:
> N.F. wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>>  since updating the tzdata package this morning
>>  (which failed) I cannot fix the locale vars on my Gutsy.
>>  as you can see:
>>
>>  perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>>  perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
>>          LANGUAGE = "it_IT",
>>          LC_ALL = (unset),
>>          LANG = "it_IT.UTF-8"
>>      are supported and installed on your system.
>>  perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
>>  locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
>>  locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
>>  directory
>>  locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
>>  Setting up tzdata (2007i-0ubuntu0.7.10) ...
>>  dpkg: error processing tzdata (--configure):
>>   subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
>>  Errors were encountered while processing:
>>   tzdata
>>

>>  Anybody experienced the same problem ?
>>  Any solution ?
>>

>>  thanks
>>
>>  Nico
>>
> i'm not sure, but you can try to recompile the locale
>  >sudo locale-gen it_IT.UTF-8
> and then try install tzdata again
>
> another workaround is to set locale variable to en_US.utf8 for apt
>  >LANG=en_US.UTF-8 apt-get install --reinstall tzdata

it did not work
it seems it's a bug related to an nonexistent time zone:

$ DEBCONF_DEBUG=developer sudo dpkg --configure tzdata
Setting up tzdata (2007i-0ubuntu0.7.10) ...
debconf (developer): frontend started
debconf (developer): frontend running, package name is tzdata
debconf (developer): starting /var/lib/dpkg/info/tzdata.config configure
debconf (developer): <-- VERSION 2.0
debconf (developer): --> 0 2.0
debconf (developer): <-- CAPB backup
debconf (developer): --> 0 multiselect escape backup
debconf (developer): <-- SET tzdata/Areas
debconf (developer): --> 0 value set
debconf (developer): <-- SET tzdata/Zones/
debconf (developer): --> 10 tzdata/Zones/ doesn't exist
dpkg: error processing tzdata (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
 tzdata

also found these related pages but no fix is working:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tzdata/+bug/125349