Video Card and Motherboard/Chip Recommendations?

Chris Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 02:09:02 UTC 2007

On Nov 17, 2007 5:37 PM, Richard S. Crawford <rscrawford at mossroot.com> wrote:
> Long story short, my wife and I just got a financial windfall, so I've decided
> that it's finally time to upgrade my old desktop.  In that computer, my hard
> drives are just fine, the power supply is relatively new, the network card
> and sound card are adequate for my purposes, and I have a spiffy new DVD/CD
> RW drive that I got just a year ago.  So I don't want to invest in a whole
> new computer.  All I need is a new graphics card and a new motherboard.  I'm
> not a hardware kind of guy, so I need some help in making some choices.
>
> Requirements:
>
> The graphics card be powerful enough to handle Compiz/Fusion (I want my wobbly
> windows!) plus some light gaming (nothing more exceptional than Second Life,
> really).  I'm not above using proprietary drivers if I have to.  I have a
> brand new 22 inch widescreen LCD monitor with a 2ms refresh rate, so the card
> needs to be able to handle that (I can't think of any that wouldn't but you
> never know).

I wouldn't suggest a GeForce 8-series, because they're so new the
drivers tend to be a bit wonky.  A GeForce 6 or 7 series PCIe should
do you more than fine, and you should be able to find one for about
$100, tops.

> The motherboard must be capable of handling IDE drives.  I looked at a few at
> Fry's last night that didn't have IDE controllers built in.

They got renamed "PATA"

Anything that has IDE, ATA, or PATA will probably work.  I haven't
seen any boards recently which don't have capacity for at least two
PATA drives.

Of course, this may mean that you just need to upgrade to SATA ;)

--
Registered Linux Addict #431495
http://profile.xfire.com/mrstalinman