scanning ext3 filesystem on shutdown and not bootup?

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sat Nov 17 01:20:44 UTC 2007

On Friday 16 November 2007, David McGlone wrote:
> > Here's an easier way, boot up the computer and just yank the plug out of
> > the wall, it'll do a fsck every time ;-)
>
> Ok, Ok, I'll save you all the humiliation and answer this one. Hello David,
> He said "SHUT_DOWN" not "BOOT_UP". So lock them kids in the closet and pay
> attention dude.

Fscking idiot. :)

I can't think of any particular reason why it shouldn't be possible to fsck at
shutdown, though I can't think of any easy way to accomplish this either.
You'd have to hack something into whatever Ubuntu is using for shutdown
scripts now.  Or you could go into single user mode by hand and hijack that
twilight state.  It all seems like way more trouble than it could possibly be
worth to me though, unless someone at the distro level could be persuaded to
turn the world around from the top down, and get it done the right way,
instead of by rude hackery.  Rude hackery and fscking don't seem to be a good
pair, and I'm pretty sure there isn't currently a polite way to accomplish
this.

--
D. Michael McIntyre