where to put xhosts commands

Paul Lemmons paul at lemmons.name
Wed Nov 7 17:25:42 UTC 2007

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re:where to put xhosts commands
From: "Greg Booth" <bootgr at gmail.com>
To: "Kubuntu Help and User Discussions" <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Date: 11/07/2007 09:06 AM
> On 11/7/07, Paul Lemmons <paul at lemmons.name> wrote:
>
>> I need to allow several machines to use the x server on my machine. I
>> have altered kdm.conf and now if I run "xhost +" I can run x
>> applications from another server. I would like to be a little more
>> granular that "xhost +" and I don't want to have to type in the commands
>> every time. On my Fedora box I set up a script in xinit.d. No such
>> directory exists on Kubuntu. Where would one put a series of xhost
>> commands so that I can set it up once for all users and forget it? Is
>> there a better way than xhost?
>>

> Could you modify the xinetd script in /etc/init.d/ ??
>
> Greg

I think there may be confusion on this suggestion. The program xinetd
has nothing to do with "X". It has to do with managing network servers
such as telnet and the like.

I am, however, loathe to change the scripts in init.d. I have done this
in the past and am even good at it. The problem is that some time later
some maintenance comes along and wipes out my updates. So, while I *can*
update system level scripts, I try to avoid it.

Any other options?

--
Sometimes I wonder.  Were our faith able to stand upright and look around, would it be looking down at the mustard seed or standing in awe of the height and breadth of it.