missing plugins

Edmund Laugasson ed.lau at mail.ee
Wed Nov 7 13:00:58 UTC 2007

> Take a look at Automatix2

I would not suggest it. It screwed up my systems in several times. Since Ubuntu 7.04 there is
special instructions getting things work - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

I would suggest EasyUbuntu (http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/) but it does not have Ubuntu 7.04 or
7.10 support but it may work. This does not change your system - only downloads appropriate packages.

I suggest at first test this Automatix2 under some virtual machine environment:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VMware/Server - it's free also for Linux

Some instructions:
Ubuntu 7.10 -
http://www.tssci-security.com/archives/2007/10/25/how-to-install-vmware-server-on-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon/

Ubuntu 7.04 - http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_feisty_fawn_vmware_server_howto

Ubuntu 6.06 - http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_vmware_server

Currently I just tested:
# sudo apt-get update
# sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r` xinetd
# sudo ./vmware-install.pl <-- this should be run from unpacked VM Ware archive folder

I just pressed enter all the time and just entered different place for default location of virtual
machines (usually I have /home at separate partition, which has more space). I installed VM Ware
Server 1.0.4 build 56528 which is current version (http://www.vmware.com/download/server/). I did
not needed any patching and installation went very smoothly.

There is also VirtualBox - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox - some people say, that it's
faster than VM Ware. You can give a try ;-)

Or just choose some another virtualization system -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_virtual_machines

Best Regards,
Edmund