Reading NTFS

Edmund Laugasson ed.lau at mail.ee
Tue Nov 6 07:50:26 UTC 2007

>> You can find instructions here:
>> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/mountNTFSreadonly?highlight=%28ntfs%29
>
> That wasn't exactly sent to my question but it sure did the trick. Thank
> you.
>
> However I do have a question about it. Will this carry over if I reboot?
> [ well maybe two questions ] If not how can I make it so it does do it
> automatically on boot up?

Use the ntfs-3g as third party NTFS full read-write driver.

In Ubuntu 7.10 you don't need to add no extra repository - ntfs-3g and ntfs-config should already at
existing repositories.

Just type:
sudo apt-get install ntfs-config

This should install also ntfs-3g package as dependency if it's not yet installed.

then run:
sudo ldconfig && sudo dpkg --reconfigure -a && sudo apt-get clean

Now you can open NTFS configuration tool:
sudo ntfs-config

... and put "birds" to where its necessary and hit "OK". That's it! The /etc/fstab will be rewritten
with right parameters and now are ntfs partitions fully accessible with read-write permissions and
also after reboot.

Optional reading:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountingWindowsPartitions/ThirdPartyNTFS3G

Best Regards,