need to unplug USB drive

Sylviane et Perry White spwhite at freesurf.ch
Sun Nov 4 10:41:18 UTC 2007

On Saturday 03 November 2007 20:09, Earl Violet wrote:
> What group does the USB drive mount under?
Under Kubuntu it is either perry-perry 755 or semua-tous 755
I was unable to change ownership or permissions.
Under Suse 9.3 it is more confusing:
Through the "Home" Konqueror icon (local folders for ubuntu)
	media:/ Konqueror		media./ 	1.0G Removable Media		root-root 		777
Through the "My Computer" Konqueror icon (storage media for ubuntu)
{or something similar...I'm translating from French}
	media- Konqueror		/media	usbdisk					whiper-users 	755

I had no problems under Suse but I am the only user there.
I could try to create a 2nd user and I bet he could write provided he belonged
to users.

On Saturday 03 November 2007 20:11, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> I used the dsl-n live Cd because I couldn't get Kubuntu to change
> permissions - I think it has something to do with the automagical mount
> thingy. The live Cd's use a manual mounting system (I couldn't even
> format and create partitions using qtparted on Kubuntu because the
> device must be unmounted - but when it is unmounted there is no record
> of it either in fstab nor mtab!).
>
> I reformatted my USB stick into 3 partitions - a linux swap (for use
> with dsl-n); a [large] ext2 partition and a fat16 partition.
> On Kubuntu the fat16 partition was mounted as user 'nigel' and group
> 'root' - so no problems writing to it.
> The problem was gaining write permission to the ext2 partition - which
> is why I needed to change group ownership to 'users' and add myself the
> the group 'users' on the Kubuntu box.
>
> In summary - there is something wrong with the way Kubuntu assigns
> permissions to native linux filesystem USB devices using this newfangled
> automagic mounting system.
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel
Very Interessting, thanks.

I didn't find out how to verify that my stick was VFAT but you are probably
right, M$ can read it too and that is what I need.
BTW I found an interresting article about formatting sticks
"http://linuxrevolution.blogspot.com/2006/09/formatting-your-usb-stick-in-linux.html"

My problem will probably be solved only when we find the proper settings in
Kubuntu or when they provide a patch for this "something wrong with the way
Kubuntu assigns permissions...".
I am afraid reformatting (still as VFAT) will not let me write ownership or
permissions on the drive. I also belive that the dsl-n trick only worked for
you because you applied it to an ext2 partition.

Do you think I should file in a bug report?
Does that still occur with Gusty? I'm under Feisty.

Greetings		Perry

--
BOFH excuse #127: Sticky bits on disk