Adept Updater

Michael D. Stemle, Jr. manchicken at notsosoft.net
Sat Nov 3 15:44:01 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 23:01 -0600, Michael Hirsch wrote:
> On 11/2/07, adams <k7qo at commspeed.net> wrote:
> > The past two days, the adept updater red triangle has been
> > showing up to note a software upgrade is available.
> >
> > The two modules involved are mencode and mplayer.
> >
> > Both are shown as upgradable (upgradeable?  no word
> > in any dictionary I own), but when I change to install
> > the Requested status changes to BREAK(upgrade).
> >
> > Has any one else seen this behaviour?
>
> This happens to me all the time.  I think it is often caused by sloppy
> quality control on the part of the packagers.  It may also be due to
> having installed something from a not so well supported repository.
>
> For instance, where did your mplayer and codecs come from?  Did you
> get them from mediabuntu, or that auto install addon to Ubuntu that
> the Ubuntu folks tell you not to install?  I use mediabuntu, and often
> there are updates from there that seem to require universe, or
> backports which I don't use if I can help it.  But sometimes I have to
> activate them just to get the latest stuff.
>
> Michael

Well, don't blame the packagers all the time.  Sometimes they submit
their packages and then the packages can take longer to build than
others, or could get held up in approval, or they could be waiting on
someone else to approve a package.

I can't tell you how many times I've had this happen, just to have the
necessary packages show up an hour or two later.  If the upgrade can't
happen due to dependencies then just wait, because the dependencies may
just be caught up in the build process or in the approval process.  No
need to pass blame or start spreading bad feelings.