Adept Updater

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 05:01:15 UTC 2007

On 11/2/07, adams <k7qo at commspeed.net> wrote:
> The past two days, the adept updater red triangle has been
> showing up to note a software upgrade is available.
>
> The two modules involved are mencode and mplayer.
>
> Both are shown as upgradable (upgradeable?  no word
> in any dictionary I own), but when I change to install
> the Requested status changes to BREAK(upgrade).
>
> Has any one else seen this behaviour?

This happens to me all the time.  I think it is often caused by sloppy
quality control on the part of the packagers.  It may also be due to
having installed something from a not so well supported repository.

For instance, where did your mplayer and codecs come from?  Did you
get them from mediabuntu, or that auto install addon to Ubuntu that
the Ubuntu folks tell you not to install?  I use mediabuntu, and often
there are updates from there that seem to require universe, or
backports which I don't use if I can help it.  But sometimes I have to
activate them just to get the latest stuff.

Michael