KDE problem - Only desktop wallpaper visible

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Nov 2 17:43:00 UTC 2007

Sundar wrote:
> > With GNOME rename the directory /home/<yourlogin>/.kde to something
> > like /home/<yourlogin>/.kde.bak to get a fresh KDE environment. Then
> > login to KDE and check if the problem is still there. If everything
> > is OK, there is a problem with some configuration of the previous KDE
> > environment. Now, if everything works, search for important things in
> > the old directory (now .kde.bak) and move them to the new directory
> > (.kde). E.g. in /home/<yourlogin>/.kde.bak/share/apps/kmail you can
> > find your old mail (if you are using kmail).
>
> Thanks Nils!! That helped. I am able to log into new KDE without issues
> But is there a log which I can check to identify the cause of this
> problem?  I just dont want to get into the same problem again.

I don't know of a log for changes in KDE settings. I would try to remember
which setting I had changed just before the trouble started and avoid to
do that again. And it might be a good idea to backup the .kde directory
before you change any settings.

But there is another option. You could compare the config files in the old
and new directory. However, that is rather time consuming and maybe you
don't find the faulty setting because you just don't know what all those
things mean. I wouldn't know it anyway, and therefore I wouldn't take the
time for a comparison.

Nils