I made a "Manual network configuration"...now how do I get rid of it?!

Michael Bach (gmx) bach.michael at gmx.net
Thu Nov 1 08:48:28 UTC 2007

Nolan Check wrote:
> The question is in the subject line. Here it is again:
>
> I made a "Manual network configuration"...now how do I get rid of it?!
>
> This is using the KNetworkManager thing. It always used to configure
> automatically. Then, I decided to fiddle around with my network. I
> experimented using a manual network configuration (there's a thing
> called "Manual configuration" when you right-click tray icon). Now I set
> the network back the way it was...but I can't make it automatically
> configure anymore! Is there any way to switch it back to Automatic?

Yes, there is.
The manual configuration writes into /etc/network/interfaces
In there, comment out everything but the loopback device.

Then I usually quit and restart the knetworkmanager. However,
occasionally (and I haven't found a procedure to reliably repeat this
effect), a residual task named "network-manager" somehow runs with
eating up to like 80 to 90 percent of the cpu power. I then close
knetworkmanager, kill this process manually and restart knetworkmanager.

Another way to restart the network is to simply issue a restart of the
dbus service: "/etc/init.d/dbus restart". However, on my T23, every dbus
restart diables the direct rendering for my graphics card.

Mike