Xorg hanging problems

Brett A. Taylor brett at realbt.com
Wed May 30 05:55:26 UTC 2007

Hello Kubuntu users,

I am writing in hopes of getting more information about bug 51991
(<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/51991>) regarding the
pseudo hanging Xorg process: the mouse moves, the keyboard is almost frozen,
and the Xorg is hogging all the CPU. All that can be done is switching to a
terminal, and killing Xorg.

This has been an on-going problem for me for some time. There are numerous
reports about variations of this. And nobody seems to have a solution.

What's interesting to me, and which is what is causing me to write to this
list, is that when I use Beryl and Aquamarine such that I'm using Beryl and
not Kwin, I never experience these lock-ups. Also interesting, is that before
upgrading to Fiesty, I downgraded to KDE 3.5.5 (from 3.5.6) and the hanging
went away during this period as well. As soon as I returned to 3.5.6 with
Feisty, the hangs continued.

Of course, this problem has been reported by non-KDE users. But it is a
curious set of circumstances.

Any ideas anyone has would be appreciated. It's becoming very annoying to have
to restart my X session every time I sit down at the computer.

Thanks
Brett