No Login, no nothing

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Wed May 30 00:20:09 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 29 May 2007 07:07:53 am Macario Valle wrote:
> Easy way to check:  Insert live cd, boot up.  That should tell you;  if
> it boots correctly, it is a software problem, it does not, it is a
> hardware failure.  That how i would test it.
>
> On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 13:46 +0200, Donn wrote:
> > > Somehow, in the last couple days, my Kubuntu install has taken a dump
> > > on me and I dont know how to fix it. At first, it just locked up after
> > > the login screen.... then it started going black after the login, now
> > > after grub it wont even do anything, just a black screen.
> >
> > Hardware problem. Sounds like a bad drive. That's my best guess.
> >
> > /d

Well, that test will tell you if its hard drive related.  It could still be
hardware (hard drive) or software (install went south).

Either way, it may at least give you enough access to the hard drive to give
you a chance to back it up.  And, you could run some memory checks while
you're at it just to be sure.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.