HELP: Unable to login to computer??

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at iserv.net
Mon May 28 15:54:36 BST 2007

Good morning,

Slighlty panicing here.  This morning adept notified me there was an
update to the kernel, kernel tools, vmware and vmware tools packages.  So
did the update.  However my laptop locked up and I restarted.  Now when I
go to turn on my computer everything appears to boot normally but when I
sign in, the computer screen goes blank for a bit and then returns to the
login prompt.
I tried booting into the previous kernel, by selecting it in grub, but the
same thing happens, also have tried reconfiguring X as I thought something
got screwed up there, but no joy in solving the problem.

Please help, I can login via the terminal login, but not through failsafe
seession.  Any thoughts?

--
Jonathan Jesse