Can't play unencrypted DVDs

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sun May 27 02:02:51 UTC 2007

I am trying to figure out why unencrypted DVDs won't play directly from
the disc.  I can play them after copying them to my computer with
dvdauthor.

I have tried in both VLC and Kaffeine.

Starting vlc from the command-line with dvd:///dev/dvd gives the below.
 It appears to fall back on reading it as an Audio CD (which it isn't
after that).  Note that I don't want to install libdvdcss and shouldn't
have to because these DVDs are /not/ encrypted.

Any help will be appreciated.

matthew at e1505-laptop:~% sudo vlc dvd:///dev/dvd
VLC media player 0.8.4 Janus
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 0.1.9 from http://dvd.sf.net
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
libdvdnav: DVD Title:
libdvdnav: DVD Serial Number:
libdvdnav: DVD Title (Alternative):
libdvdnav: Unable to find map file '/home/matthew/.dvdnav/.map'
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
libdvdnav: vm: faild to read VIDEO_TS.IFO
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
**                                            **
**  No css library available. See             **
**  /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/README.Debian  **
**  for more information.                     **
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
[00000265] vcd access error: no movie tracks found
ioctl(): Input/output error
[00000265] vcdx access error: error reading Info sector (150)
[00000265] access_file access error: file /dev/dvd is empty, aborting
[00000265] cdda access error: could not read block 0 from disc
[00000265] cdda access error: cannot read sector 0