adept database is locked

Terence Simpson stdin at stdin.me.uk
Sat May 26 13:51:19 UTC 2007

Eric Jackson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just issued this command from the terminal.
>
> sudo aptitude install ubuntu-restricted-extras libxine-extracodecs gstreamer0.10-plugins-base gstreamer0.10-plugins-good \
> gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-pitfdll
>

> I found that line here. http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty
>
> When I issued that command it was trying to install Sun Java. It put up an agreement or eula. I couldn't figure out how to continue.
>
>  It said okay at the bottom but I couldn't figure out how to get it to accept any input. I closed the window. I guess it wasn't
> finished because now I can't do any updates.It says the database is in use by another program even after I've rebooted twice.
>

> Anybody know how to unlock the database?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Eric

To unlock the database you need to run this command:
sudo fuser -vik /var/lib/dpkg/lock ; sudo dpkg --configure -a

You will need to agree to the licence then, use the tab key to move to
the "OK" button and press enter to continue. Then it will continue to
install Java and the other packages you wanted.