/dev/video

Donatas G. dgvirtual at akl.lt
Fri May 25 17:16:10 UTC 2007

ketvirtadienis 24 gegužė 2007, Edward Dunagin rašė:
> Hello Donatas,.
>
> On 5/22/07, Donatas G. <dgvirtual at akl.lt> wrote:
> > antradienis 22 gegužė 2007, Edward Dunagin rašė:
> > > I am running ubuntustudio7.04 that I changed from Gnome to KDE.
> > >
> > > The /dev/video did not show up iin my /dev/ directory, but did show up
> > > in /dev/.static/dev   as video. I moved it to /dev/ and then ran
> > > xawtv.
> > >
> > > This is xawtv-3.95.dfsg.1, running on Linux/i686 (2.6.20-15-generic)
> > > can't open /dev/video0: No such device
> > > v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
> > > v4l2: open /dev/video0: No such device
> > > v4l2: open /dev/video0: No such device
> > > v4l: open /dev/video0: No such device
> > > no video grabber device available
> > >

> > > I ran it both as user and sudo with the same results.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions to solve my problem?
> >
> > It is the first time I hear about moving device files. Maybe that was a
> > mistake?
> >
> > Could you try to create a soft link /dev/video0 that would point
> > to /dev/.static/deve/video (that, of course, after rebooting your
> > computer) and try to launch xawtv again?
>
> I did this and it did not help..So I removed xawtv and then installed
> it again. When I did that, it told me that it was setting up the video
> in /dev/.static/dev. This is ok, but I don't know how to configure
> xawtv so it will look there.

In these kinds of situations a seemlink named the way xawtv expects and
pointing to the right location of the video device should help. You could try
again from a clean situation (before moving, deleting, restoring files).

You could also look at the configuration file for xawtv (if it is a kde
program, it should be somewhere in /home/YourUserName/.kde/share/config/
directory, and called xawtvrc, else - somewhere in your home directory with a
dot in front of it (like .xawtv) and see if there is a line you can edit in
there.

Hope some of this helps.

--
Donatas Glodenis