hostname

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri May 25 14:08:21 UTC 2007

Stew Schneider wrote:

>> What error?
>>
> Well...what do you know? Works fine in 7.04. They've evidently changed
> something since 6.06.

I don't think so - you've always needed to use "hostname" and
set /etc/hostname.  You might also need to rerun dhclient, so that your
DHCP server gets the right name.  ime, errors from gethostname would more
likely indicate that it was getting the new name when some app still
expected the old name - e.g., I think I've seen this sort of thing when
changing the hostname and having an SMTP daemon still running.
--
derek