hostname

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Fri May 25 06:13:45 UTC 2007

Phil Bieber wrote:
> On 5/25/07, Stew Schneider <stew.schneider at gmail.com> wrote:
>> OK...this is probably just real dumb, but how do you change the host name?
>>
>> sudo hostname george will change the host to george, but then you get an
>> error from gethostname().

>> Changing /etc/hostname and rebooting will,
>> iirc, do it, but that seems a kludge.

What error?  Reading the man page (I'm kind of reluctant to actually run
the command) indicates that is the right command.  However, it must be
run again during every boot.  This is usually done automatically with
the value from /etc/hostname .  So you can seemingly run hostname
manually, but you'll still need to modify /etc/hostname or make other
"arrangements" to make the value persistent.

Matt Flaschen