Antivirus for Ubuntu

James Gray james.gray at dot.com.au
Fri May 25 05:40:28 UTC 2007

On Fri, 25 May 2007 01:37:45 pm Edward Dunagin wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> On 5/24/07, James Gray <james.gray at dot.com.au> wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 May 2007 03:50:30 am Ben Edwards wrote:
> > > I use xubuntu at work but there is only one other Linux desktop user.
> > > I was chatting to my boss today and one of the things the head of IT
> > > is nervous about is Antivirus on Linux.  Thats not go the you dont
> > > need it route, it the Linux desktop becomes popular there will be
> > > viruses, Trojans etc.  He knows it may not be necessary but to keep
> > > the business happy we need to use it. The question is are there any
> > > decent centrally managed anti virus products around for linux?
> > >
> > > Ben
> >
> > Open Source:
> > - ClamAV
> >
> > Closed Source:
> > - Avast
> > - Sophos (this will cost a bomb but is enterprise-grade centrally
> > managed, cross-platform antivirus solution).
>
> I have used Linux on the Internet for over 10 years and have NEVER had
> a virus nor a trojan..Never been broken into either..I do use a
> Firewall.
>
> Peace.............................ed

Ed, I was responding to the Op...they SPECIFICALLY said they realise the
absence of any real "need" for AV in Linux, they just asked what was
available.

FWIW, I've been a Linux user and administrator sine pre-1.0 kernel days and
NEVER have a virus or a trojan (although I did get a root-kit in the
late-90's :P).

James
--
An honest tale speeds best being plainly told.
		-- William Shakespeare, "Henry VI"