clean install of Kubuntu

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu May 24 12:13:28 UTC 2007

anthony baldwin wrote:

> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>
>>Tim M wrote:
>>
>>>stupid question but I know with XP a copy of My Documents would get most
>>>of what I am working on saved. Would I just copy /home/tim/ to a CD?
>>>
>>Probably, but of course we can't know for sure where you've been saving
>>things.  I recommend that when you reinstall you setup a separate /home
>>partition.  See http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p14.htm (but you
>>can also do it in the LiveCD)
>>

> Would it not be a good idea to consider taking a look at the ./hidden
> files in /home
> (like /.kde) before deciding to back the entire directory up?
> If one wants a clean install, could not some of the config files and
> such in those directories
> be troublesome, or, at the very least, unnecessary, and thus unduly
> cumbersome in the back-up process?
>
> Just a thought...I´m no expert in such matters...

It's a good one.  For a really clean install, I first have /home on a
separate partition, then I do the install _without_ using the /home
partition.  After installing, copy my skeleton from the new /home/derek to
the old partition, then mount the old partition as /home.  That gives me
everything I absolutely need - it did overwrite my kmail settings though so
I had to restore my filters and account settings.
--
derek