Feisty: KPPP/Dialup Permissions Issue?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed May 23 16:40:38 UTC 2007

Derek Broughton wrote:

> Anyway, iirc there's an option in the ppp config that says either "auth"
> or "noauth", and probably even a comment that tells you it shouldn't be
> changed.  Users don't have the authority to override that unless the ppp
> program is suid root, and they really shouldn't.  User's _can_ override it
> in the per-location config scripts.  If nobody gives a better answer, post
> the config file and I'll be able to tell you what has to change.

I forgot that ppp is forced upon the rest of us by the ubuntu-desktop
packages, so I can tell you exactly what you need in /etc/ppp/options (the
only important line below is the "noauth" - it's NOT the correct way to fix
things, but apparently somebody decided quick and dirty was better than
right):

# Require the peer to authenticate itself before allowing network
# packets to be sent or received.
# Please do not disable this setting. It is expected to be standard in
# future releases of pppd. Use the call option (see manpage) to disable
# authentication for specific peers.
#auth
noauth
# ... Unfortunately, fixing this properly in the peers file
# (/etc/ppp/peers/ppp0, typically) is apparently incompatible with the
# paradigm used by gnome-system-tools and system-tools-backend for
# managing the peers files.  So in Ubuntu Feisty we change the default.
--
derek