Feisty: KPPP/Dialup Permissions Issue?

andy at healingpeople.org andy at healingpeople.org
Wed May 23 13:30:51 UTC 2007

Hi All

Have done a clean install for Feisty (previously running Edgy).

Am using dialup to connect to the Internet via KPPP.
No gateways, etc, here as I dial straight out to my ISP.
KNetworkManager is installed.

Under Feisty, I can ONLY access the Internet (POP, SMTP, http, etc)
WHEN using root access (eg. SUDO firefox) through my connection.
Never had this problem under Edgy.

Accessing as a normal user (even with root permissions given to that
user) does not work.
BTW I am connecting with KPPP as an ordinary user in the same session,
not root.

A possibly related problem is that I do not get any PPP connections
showing up in KNetworkManager.  Is this part of the problem?
I used to be able to use KNetworkManager to sort out my PPP connection
when I was previously using Mandriva/Mandrake.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I cannot resolve what's happening.

Many thanks

Andy, Perth (Aus)

believed to be clean.