View pictures in e-mail inline?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon May 21 23:53:52 UTC 2007

Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> Bruce Marshall wrote:

>>> As implied by this option's placement, it is a security risk.  It allows
>>> spammers (among others) to determine whether you have read a message.
>>
>> Yes, but what he wants is not loading 'external' pictures...   (although
>> he wasn't specific about that)
>
> I understand this isn't actually relevant to his question.  I just want
> to make sure he (and anyone else) doesn't turn it on.

This sort of FUD really amazes me.  It doesn't let spammers know that I've
read a message.  In the first place, I'd need to actually have read (ie,
opened) the message.

If you were to suggest (and I would) that you shouldn't turn this option on
for the inbox, I'd be fine with that.  But I filter most of my mail into
other folders (including into the spam folder).  and to date I have _never_
had a spam in any folder where I have turned on automatic loading of
external references (it's not just pictures).
--
derek