Installing windows on secondary hard drive

Mike Teehan detox.genie at gmail.com
Wed May 16 18:04:57 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 16 May 2007 10:47:42 am grumpy wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 May 2007 11:26:21 am Greg Booth wrote:
> > Everyone,
> > Ok I've googling this all morning and can't seem to find any good
> > answers.
> > What would it take to install XP to a secondary hard drive ( hdb ) using
> > grub
> > I've got the entry in grub thus:

> > title           Windows XP
> > map (hd0) (hd1)
> > map (hd1) (hd0)
> > rootnoverify (hd0,0)
> > chainloader     +1
> > makeactive
> > boot

> > I've copied the install files from the CD to the first partition but I'm
> > getting an error "unknown binaries" when trying to boot it.
> > Anyone ever had any luck directly installing XP from CD to hd1 ?

> I may (probably am) wrong, but Winblows has to be installed first then you
> can install Linux due to Win$ux overwriting the MBR on every boot
>
> > Thanks in advance.
> > Greg Booth
> --
> Calling An Illegal Alien a undocumented Worker is like calling a Drug
> Dealer a Unlicensed Pharmacist

Window$ will (almost) ALWAYS install itself to the first primary partition on
the first hard drive.  You really do need to make a partition for it first,
as the Winblows installer lacks a decent partitioning tool.

The order you install them in isn't as important, as long as you set aside the
first primary partition for it ahead of time.  If you install Linux first,
then Windows, you'll have to reinstall the grub afterwards because Winderz
will overwrite it with its own bootloader.

Copying files from the XP cd probably doesn't work.  Basically, if you want to
install XP on the second hd: you should install it on the first hd, then
physically swap it to be the second hd.  I used to have a setup this way.
Grub will gladly boot XP off the second hd.

Have fun.

--- eMpTy