Cannot start Beryl

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed May 16 15:23:13 UTC 2007

On 16/05/07, Andy Harrison <aharrison at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh, I see.  I thought it provided some functionality for which you
> were looking.  I'm using beryl just fine without it, whatever it is.
>
> Did you try using these directions to get it working?
>
> http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Install_Beryl_on_Ubuntu_Feisty_with_ATI

I've installed all the things that he suggests. That page needs a
rewrite, though.

> Also, what mods did you make to your xorg.conf?

In order to get a GUI working at all, I had to use my old xorg.conf
from Fedora. My hardware (Dell Inspiron E1505/6400 with the Radeon
X1400) is known to be difficult, and none of the 'fixes' I googled
helped. Beryl was working, just barely, in Fedora, after _lots_ of
tweaking. I'd post the, but I've yet to configure wireless and I'm at
the university now.

Which driver should I be using? That seems to be the key here. If
someone could explain the differences between the vesa, mesa, ati,
fglrx, and radeon drivers I'd really, really, appreciate it. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/
http://what-is-what.com/