Enabling ACPI on laptop

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed May 16 15:05:30 UTC 2007

On 16/05/07, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > In Fiesty on a Dell Inspiron E1505 / 6400 I cannopt suspend/resume. In
> > Kcontrol it tells me that I must enable ACPI suspend/resume in the
> > ACPI panel. But I cannot find such a panel. Where is it?
> >
> Somewhere in this excellent link on Ubuntuforums;
>
> I found the answer, quoted below. It is a rather lengthy advice but once
> that was done both suspend and hibernate is working. Knetworkmanager is
> a bit "fidgety" afterwards but normally reconnects in the end. It should
> be noted that I have an ATI graphics card on my Dell 6400
> Good Luck, Sinclair
>
> ---------------------------
> getting suspend to work
> root edit /etc/default/acpi-support
>
> Code
> # Comment the next line to disable ACPI suspend to RAM
> ACPI_SLEEP=true
>
> # Comment the next line to disable suspend to disk
> ACPI_HIBERNATE=true
>
> # Change the following to "standby" to use ACPI S1 sleep, rather than S3.
> # This will save less power, but may work on more machines
> ACPI_SLEEP_MODE=mem
>
> # Add modules to this list to have them removed before suspend and reloaded
> # on resume. An example would be MODULES="em8300 yenta_socket"
> #
> # Note that network cards and USB controllers will automatically be
> unloaded
> # unless they're listed in MODULES_WHITELIST
> MODULES=""
>
> # Add modules to this list to leave them in the kernel over suspend/resume
> MODULES_WHITELIST="fglrx"
>
> # Should we save and restore state using the VESA BIOS Extensions?
> SAVE_VBE_STATE=false
>
> # The file that we use to save the vbestate
> VBESTATE=/var/lib/acpi-support/vbestate
>
> # Should we attempt to warm-boot the video hardware on resume?
> POST_VIDEO=false
>
> # Save and restore video state?
> # SAVE_VIDEO_PCI_STATE=true
>
> # Should we switch the screen off with DPMS on suspend?
> USE_DPMS=true
>
> # Use Radeontool to switch the screen off? Seems to be needed on some
> machines
> # RADEON_LIGHT=true
>
> # Uncomment the next line to switch away from X and back again after resume.
> # This is needed for some hardware, but should be unnecessary on most.
> DOUBLE_CONSOLE_SWITCH=true
>
> # Set the following to "platform" if you want to use ACPI to shut down
> # your machine on hibernation
> HIBERNATE_MODE=shutdown
>
> # Comment this out to disable screen locking on resume
> LOCK_SCREEN=true
>
> # Uncomment this line to have DMA disabled before suspend and reenabled
> # afterwards
> # DISABLE_DMA=true
>
> # Uncomment this line to attempt to reset the drive on resume. This seems
> # to be needed for some Sonys
> # RESET_DRIVE=true

> [...]

Thanks. The script did not help, but I did notice that full-screening
the KLaptop dialog reveals two more tabs, one of which is the missing
ACPI Config tab. There I was able to enable suspend, hibernate, and
some other goodies (CPU throttling, for one.) Now, I can suspend and
hibernate the laptop, but still not with the desired results:

Suspending: the laptop does not appear to do anything other than shut
the screen down: the processor fan still spins, the wireless LEDS are
still lit, and the power LED does not flash. In FC6, when going to
suspend the processor fan stopped, the wireless LEDs went blank, and
the power LED flashed. Also, the return from suspend is too immediate:
a sure sign that it's not suspended.

Hibernate: has probkems, but I won't go into it as I'm not interested
in Hibernate, only suspend.

Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/