Newbie question about networking

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Fri May 11 05:52:37 UTC 2007

WJ Seidl wrote:
> However, I cannot seem to find the place (K-menu?) in which I should be
> able to "see" the other desktops, such as you can in "Network Places" on
> the XP boxes.

Open Konqueror.  Click Network Folders, then Samba Shares.  You should
be able to find your workgroup and the computers therein fairly easily.

> Also, so far I cannot connect to any of the printers (2)
> connected to the network through the other computers.  They are "local"
> printers each connected to a desktop being shared on the network.

I haven't found a great way to do this yet.  But you can follow the
howto
http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi/linux/HOWTO/usr/HOWTO/Debian-and-Windows-Shared-Printing.html#printing_to_windows
.  Once you know the workgroup, computer name, and printer name you can
also go through KDE Control Panel. You may be able to start here, but
the printer scan doesn't seem as reliable.

Alt-F2
kcontrol
Search for Printers
Administrator mode
Add printer
SMB Shared Printer
Any password for the printer
Enter the workgroup, server, printer.
Pick a driver.

> 2) Must I configure Samba and reconfigure my network so that the Linux
> box is actually the server? (Most of our software is MS based, and will
> cause undue economic stress to change it all...not all programs are
> replaceable with Linux versions, such as Quickbooks)

Well, if the GNU/Linux box is a Samba server, the Windows machines will
think it's a Windows server.  That's the point of Samba.  If the
GNU/Linux computer is storing files that are accessible from other
computers, that makes it a server.  To share these files, try following
the instructions at
help:/kubuntu/serverguide/windows-networking-introduction.html

> 3) Am I confusing what a "server" actually is in this scenario? (Can the
> applications in the MS boxes continue to reside on their respective
> desktops and be shared as they are now through the network).

Yes, they can.  You're really sharing files not apps, right?

Matt Flaschen