Awstats and mail.log

Roland Hill rolandh at
Thu May 10 22:35:35 BST 2007

Hi List,

Does anyone here run Awstats on their mail.log files, and if you do have
you had problems with file permissions, and how have you solved it?

The problem is that syslog creates mail.log files with 0640 permissions
which awstats cannot read.

It seems I could modify sysklogd in cron.weekly and cron.daily to have
*all* syslog logs with 0644 file permissions, but is that the best

This is on a feisty box and is my own personal server, but I would still
like to try to do this 'correctly'.

Many thanks.

PGP Key 0xDA39319B = BCF0 1214 BAE9 5A3D 46FC 21A6 360D 9398 DA39 319B