Playing real player files

Michael D. Stemle, Jr. manchicken at notsosoft.net
Thu May 10 13:56:06 UTC 2007

On Thursday 10 May 2007 15:33:31 Art Alexion wrote:
> Mark, please don't hijack threads.  It isn't good for the list and it isn't
> good for you.
>
> It isn't good for the list because many of us use threaded mail readers
> like kmail and thunderbird.  Changing topics in the middle of a thread
> makes the topic difficult to follow.
>
> It isn't good for you because a person with an answer to your question may
> be ignoring a particular thread that doesn't interest them. <Ctrl + Del>,
> the irrelevant thread is gone and along with it, your unrelated question
> that may have just solved yesterday.
>
> On Thursday 10 May 2007 08:47, Mark Wallace wrote:
> > I was able to play the following real player stream in MPlayer.
> >
> > Install MPlayer and Mozilla Plug in for MPlayer.
> >

> > http://www.rte.ie/radio/index.html
> >
> > It takes longer for the file to start loading and playing than the
> > Windoze edition of Real Player 10.5.  I don't know why.  Give it a full
> > minute or two.
> >
> > Real Player no longer seems to be available through the package managers,
> > possibly because nobody can get it to work.
> >
> > There is more than one type of real player files.  All types might not
> > work this way.  You probably can't get the paid services this way.

I don't see this thread as being hijacked.  Mark's response to this
problem--at least how I read it--seemed highly relevant.  It was addressing
the problem of viewing/listening to RealPlayer content using MPlayer.
MPlayer is, IMO, a "better" way of viewing/listening to such content for
several reasons... not the least of which is its superior performance to
RealPlayer in general.

As a reader of this list, I welcome suggestions of software libre alternatives
to proprietary programs... especially when the software libre alternative
works better than the proprietary one.

I appreciate the concern for thread hijacking--it can be a real problem--but I
don't think this one is a case of this happening.

--
~ Michael D. Stemle, Jr. <><
(A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nfluence with large hammer