Feisty boot invisible?/segue

WJ Seidl wjsvt at sover.net
Sun May 6 20:00:25 UTC 2007

On Sunday 06 May 2007 17:55:07 Michael Satterwhite wrote:
 > > I just installed Feisty, replacing Dapper. When I boot the system, the
 > > screen goes completely blank and remains that way until the signon
screen
 > > comes up. My  kernel line in menu.lst looks like this:
 > >
 > > kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic
 > > root=UUID=b753f44f-ae42-4cc3-9c36-dbadd8fd5bfb ro quiet splash
 > >
 > > I've tried taking the "quiet" off, but that doesn't seem to do
anything.
 > > The problem with this is that there's no way to tell that the boot is
 > > progressing or if the machine is hung.
 > >
 > > Can anyone suggest how to get *SOME* feedback during boot?
 > >
 > > tia
 > > ---Michael

Replace the "splash" with "vga=795". That will show boot messages on the
screen using the framebuffer device. The resolutions are:

     786 -  640x480
     789 -  800x600
     792 - 1024x768
     795 - 1280x1024
     799 - 1600x1200

so vga=795 gives me a nice 1280x1024 text on my 1680x1050 monitor.

Personally I like seeing every message so I also remove the "quiet" command.

Hope that helps.

Finn
--------------
Finn:
Being interested also in seeing what is going on, I attempted to do as
you instructed above.
I opened /boot/grub/menu.lst in Konqueror and found the correct set of
commands (there is a set for recovery mode as well)
and tried to modify "splash" to read vga=795 but the system wouldn't let
me.
When I tried to save, so that I could close the file again the error reads:

"The document could not be saved, as it was not possible to write to the
file:///boot/grub/menu.lst.
Check that you have write access to this file or that enough disk space
is available."

Can you please tell me how I set permission to write to this file? I
checked permissions, and it says owner can read and write.

TIA
WJ Seidl