Terminal colors with ls command

Bruce Bales bbales at cox.net
Sat May 5 18:35:43 UTC 2007

On Saturday 05 May 2007 12:51, adams wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-05-05 at 12:41 -0500, Bruce Bales wrote:
> > I use the terminal quite a bit.  For many months after I
> > installed dapper, an ls command gave me a multicolored display
> > with directories one color, text files another, etc.  Now, the
> > colors have disappeared.  Everything is black on white.
> >
> > I must have done something to change this, but I can't find it.
> >
> > Any help on this?
> > bruce
>
> If you run, from the konsole
>
> alias ls
>
> you should see something like:
>

> alias ls='ls --color=auto'
>

> It looks like you lost your alias to ls.  You might
> try
>
> source ~/.bashrc
>
> and see if it returns.  Somewhere and somehow you have
> lost the above alias.
>
> FYI
Thanks a lot, guys.

source ~/.bashrc didn't work.  I looked in .bashrc and found

alias ls='ls --color=auto'  was commented out.

I tried
alias ls='ls --color=auto'
and found that alias wasn't installed.

apt-get install alias and then
alias ls='ls --color=auto' and the problem was corrected.

I should have asked sooner instead of spending so much time looking at
settings.
bruce