kubuntu install on USB external HDD

dave selby dave6502 at googlemail.com
Fri May 4 12:28:16 UTC 2007

I am trying to install kubuntu 7.04 on a USB external HDD on my
company laptop without overwriting the laptop HDD :)

laptop hdd is hda1,2,3
ext hdd is hdb1

While trying to install I got to boot loader - "help for grub driver
selection goes here" "(hd0)" - I assume the laptop HDD is hd0, I
changed it to hd1 but chickened out !

I assume this is where kubuntu wants to install the boot loader - if
it goes on my laptops HDD goodbye XP & I am fried.

If I install Kubuntu on the external USB HDD on my home machine, then
plug it into my laptop I guess it will have the wrong drivers etc ...

Anybody managed to do what I am trying (without getting fired !)

Cheers

Dave

--

The unavoidable price of reliability is simplicity.

-- C.A.R. Hoare