Strange Samba

J. Stewart Schneider stew.schneider at gmail.com
Wed May 2 14:18:32 UTC 2007

I've got a network of four or five PC's running XP, and one laptop running
VISTA (that's a separate can of worns. Let's focus on the XP machines). The
Kubuntu server offers up three sharesof interest to us: Administrate (which
should be visible only to the Secretary and the Senior Pastor), Public
(accessible to all) and ChurchHelpmate (accessible to all). The problems I'm
running into are:

1. The Senior Pastor cannot access Administrate, though the Secretary can
2. I cannot share these files with security = user. I have to use security =
share in smb.conf (which explains #1)
3. If I set security = user, and attempt to access the Ubuntu server, I'm
prompted for a name/password. Enter bbrown with a password of password, and
XP again requests a password, this time for Ubuntu/bbrown. In other words,
it's hanging the box name on the first. It will not permit log in, so samba
isn't authenticating properly.
4. All boxes were part of an NT domain before the unfortunate and untimely
death of the PIII 867M 256Meg ram "server". Before that event, I had managed
to get Ubuntu to join the domain. After said death (which I had nothing to
do with  and was in another town at the time. Talking to six ministers and a
nun), I reversed what I had done to get Ubuntu to join.
5. Finally, and most puzzlingly, twice now Ubuntu has disappeared from the
XP Network Neighborhoods. In both occurances, the line workgroup = xxxxx has
been deleted. I didn't delete it, and nobody else here knows what
smb.confis....what's up with that?

Many thanks in advance

stew

smb.conf:
#======================= Global Settings =======================

[global]

workgroup = FCCASHLAND
netbios name = Ubuntu
smb ports = 139
security = share

# This will prevent nmbd to search for NetBIOS names through DNS.
   dns proxy = no

# What naming service and in what order should we use to resolve host names
# to IP addresses
;   name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast

#### Networking ####

   interfaces = eth0,lo

#### Debugging/Accounting ####

# This tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
   max log size = 1000

# We want Samba to log a minimum amount of information to syslog. Everything
# should go to /var/log/samba/log.{smbd,nmbd} instead. If you want to log
# through syslog you should set the following parameter to something higher.
   syslog = 0

# Do something sensible when Samba crashes: mail the admin a backtrace

####### Authentication #######

   encrypt passwords = true

# If you are using encrypted passwords, Samba will need to know what
# password database type you are using.
   passdb backend = tdbsam

   obey pam restrictions = yes

;   guest account = nobody
   invalid users = root

# For Unix password sync to work on a Debian GNU/Linux system, the following
# parameters must be set (thanks to Ian Kahan <<
kahan at informatik.tu-muenchen.de> for
# sending the correct chat script for the passwd program in Debian Sarge).
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .

# This boolean controls whether PAM will be used for password changes
# when requested by an SMB client instead of the program listed in
# 'passwd program'. The default is 'no'.
;   pam password change = no

########## Printing ##########

   load printers = yes

# CUPS printing.  See also the cupsaddsmb(8) manpage in the
# cupsys-client package.
   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups

############ Misc ############

   socket options = TCP_NODELAY

#======================= Share Definitions =======================

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   path = /tmp
   printable = yes
   public = no
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700

# Windows clients look for this share name as a source of downloadable
# printer drivers
[print$]
   comment = Printer Drivers
   path = /var/lib/samba/printers
   browseable = yes
   read only = yes
   guest ok = no

[Shared]
    comment = Shared File Storage
    writable = yes
    path = /Shared
    public = yes
[Administrate]
    comment = Ike and Nanette shared storage
    username = nanette, Disciples, revike, sschneider
    writable = yes
    path = /Shared/Administrative
    force group = +Secretary
    public = no