LCD monitor recommendations?

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at optonline.net
Thu Mar 29 01:25:31 UTC 2007

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

>On Wednesday 28 March 2007 5:21 pm, anthony baldwin wrote:
>

>>Just for giggles, here is the entire ¨monitor¨ section of my xorg.conf:
>>

>That's the "Screen" section, not the "Monitor" section.
>
>I bet the trick is to comment something in the Monitor section out.  Mine is
>just this:
>
>Section "Monitor"
>        Identifier      "Acer AL1912"
>        Option          "DPMS"
>EndSection
>
>Just a wild ass guess though.

Okay, here´s what I got:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "X171"
        Option          "DPMS"
        HorizSync       30-70
        VertRefresh     50-160
EndSection

Furthermore, even after having run dkpg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and
acquiring these settings for the new monitor,
my very old generic monitor is working with these same settings, which
are, supposedly, for the Acer
(thus, I am able to log on, with the old monitor, and write to you kind
folks...)
Removing the refresh and sync parameters doesn´t seem to have any effect
whatever.
With the new monitor, every thing is lovely through the boot process,
and I even get a nice graphical login screen...
Then, attempts to login to KDE (with the Acer, of course) give that
¨input not supported¨ error (that is precisely what it says)
on the monitor.
Attempts to sudo startkde from terminal give these errors:

kdeinit $DISPLAY not set
ksmserver can´t connect to Xserver
xset unable to open display
xsetroot unable to opendisplay
ERROR:  Couldn´t attach to DCOP server

(not necessarily in that order...)

There...that´s more info...maybe that will help.
I can´t seem to figure out where to set the display that kdeinit wants,
or xset or xsetroot, and have no idea why the DCOP server can´t be
connected...

Any input will be deeply appreciated.

thanks
tony