Dapper Shutdown Freezes

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 16:34:34 UTC 2007

> when I logout, it freezes on the splash screen.  Does anyone know how
> to fix this?
Sounds like X is getting stuck. I get this kind of thing - esp if my nvidia
drivers are not a good mood. Check the various logs like ~/.xsession-errors
and /var/log/messages for any overt error messages.
You could also try Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to a console, login and go from there:
1. To shutdown: sudo shutdown -h now
2. To reboot: sudo reboot
3. To try X again: startx (and then watch the output for errors)
4. To see what's running (and hanging) : ps aux
5. To kill stuff : killall <name>

hth a bit,
/d