Adept failure

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Fri Mar 23 15:06:00 UTC 2007

On Fri March 23 2007 10:36:50 am Arthur Dyck wrote:
> I am trying to use Adept on Kubuntu Edgy and get the following error
> message:
>
> Database Locked - Adept Installer.  Another process is using the packaging
> system database (probably Adept or apt-get or aptitude).  Please close the
> other application before using this one.
>
> I don't have anything else open.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Arthur

In a Konsole window, try running this command to finish any package installs
that may have not completed:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

if that does not fix it, then run the command:
sudo apt-get upgrade

this will give an error and will specify the lock file that is causing this
problem. A lock file is present to prevent two different package managers
running at the same time, and sometimes one gets left behind in a crash or
something.
To delete this, since you are already in a konsole window, try this:

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
substitute whatever filepath is in the error.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net